ASCD just announced three new publications for new teachers. They offer extensive previews of each online. I found Never Work Harder Than Your Students by Robyn R. Jackson of particular interest. In it, she lays out the Master Teacher Principles and provides a roadmap for how to achieve them.
1. Start where their students are.
2. Know where their students are going.
3. Expect to get their students to their goal.
4. Support their students along the way.
5. Use feedback to help them and their students
6. Focus on quality rather than quantity.
7. Never work harder than their students.